In recent years it has become an obligation that institutions of higher education demonstrate the effectiveness of their academic programs in providing high quality education that positively impacts the stakeholders. This has led the Higher Education Commission to develop methods for assessing the quality of academic programs.
With the establishment of Quality Assurance Agency at Higher Education Commission it was decided that Quality Enhancement Cells will be established at all universities to strengthen the internal quality assurance process with a special focus on quality of higher education to fill the gap between the prevailing and the desired status of quality education.
Following the guidelines of HEC, Institute of Southern Punjab Multan (ISP) established Quality Enhancement Cell. The aim of the ISP’s quality enhancement is to enhance the effectiveness of its core activities of learning, teaching, research performance, research training and management.
ISP Quality Enhancement Cell is responsible
- For promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degrees, management and overall quality of knowledge being imparted by the institution are enhanced and safeguarded.
- For the review of quality standards by auditing academic standards and the quality of teaching, learning and management in each subject area.
- For the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of programs.
- To develop qualifications framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of a qualification, i.e. Bachelors, Bachelor with Honors, Master’s, M. Phil., Doctoral
- To develop program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successfully completing a specific program.
- To develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
- To ensure that the university’s quality assurance procedures are designed to fit in with the arrangements in place nationally for maintaining and improving the quality of Higher Education
QEC is also responsible to develop procedures for the following:
- Improvement of existing programs and approval of new programs in consultation with already existing body responsible for the task at universities
- Annual monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, faculty assessment, and student’s perception
- Developing a data source for accurate information regarding quality assurance which is deliverable to all stakeholders
- Departmental review
- Student feedback
- Employer feedback
- Quality assurance of Bachelor’s, Master’s, M. Phil. and Ph. D. degree programs
- Subject review
- Institutional audit
- Program specifications
- Qualification framework
- Overall quality improvements in institutional management/leadership